Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Relation is longer than company

Last night, I learned an important statement from my leadership class by Kimberly Wiefling:
Relation is longer than company...
It could have many different interpretations for different people, as we know, seeing the whole meaning of sentence is more than understanding the dictionary definitions for each words.
The comment comes from a story: Alice(anonymous) has worked for many companies in her past experiences, either she left the company, or company ship sink down in economic stream. However, she's made a lot of connections from her past companies and learned this lesson. Her follower want to go wherever she goes. What an amazing trust between them! Relationship could last long even after the work environment is no longer exist.
My first job in the valley ended abruptly. It was a small start-up company. We had a wonderful team with all the dreams and energy to accomplish them. At the end of one normal work day, our CEO just told us the company funding used up after we've achieved that day's task. "Team are dismissed." What a shocking news! Alright, company is gone, but the connections are still there.
Couple years later, I'm in deepest need of some extra help for my project. One of my old team members called me and mentioned he's looking for a new job. "Why don't you come for an interview this afternoon"? I said to him. He showed up 2 hours later after the call. We discussed for a while, I told him my perspective and plan ......By the end of day, I got the signature for offer letter and he signed in. Reunion in a new wonderful team, how great it is!
I left that company some times later. He has been promoted to manager position much faster than he expected or ever planned. Every time we meet, he's excited and thrilled by all the opportunities. I feel so happy for him, and happy for the fact that we can still sit together and enjoy the dinner after many years.
The same rule applies for reputation. We all know how small the world is, and how powerful people comments could be in industry.
I would not want to have dinner with that CEO in my future life, not because of the shocking new he brought. I'm offended by the way he brought the news after whole team whole day's hard work.
Of course, it doesn't intend to compromise company's benefit. Company goal should be higher than personal goal as long as you are still stay with the company, otherwise, you'd better change the culture, or find out a different place suiting your needs. I think it will be useful before I make any decision related to people. And keep it in mind, I will keep making friends and connections among colleagues in my future long career.

No comments: